Piping code stress types
With regard to stresses, there are three main types of stresses that a designer must check for:
Primary stresses resulting from primary loads (sustained)
- From external loading
- Not self-limiting and cause distortion
- Limit these loads to prevent plastic deformation
Examples of loads: Internal-pressure, Weight.
Sustained stresses must be less than sustained allowable stresses.
Related Courses in Engineering Design
Secondary stresses resulting from secondary loads (expansion):
- By displacements constraints
- Self-limiting and cause no distortion
- Limit these loads to prevent fatigue failure
Examples of loads: Thermal load, Transient, Support-movement, Vibration.
Expansion stresses must be less than the thermal allowable stress range.
Peak stresses resulting from occasional loads (occasional)
- Cause the highest stresses but cause no distortion
- Limit these loads to prevent fatigue crack initiation
Top Courses in Engineering Design
Oilandgasclub.com is an international oil and gas (online & offline) conference technical training org from India. Oilandgasclub.com 3000+ professionals trained 150,000 hours of classes delivered 500+ expert trainers available and 3600+ respondents 30+ countries 80+ team. Blogs about technical tips at this blog. Contact or more about customized technical training from this page
70+ courses 7 venues 5 categories
OILANDGASCLUB.COM HAS PUBLISHED 150+ ARTICLES IN THIS BLOG Subscribe