1. Can you explain in detail three or more major differences between code ANSI B31.1 and code ANSI B31.3?
There is only one major difference between the two, B31.1 is for power piping and B31.3 is for refinery/chemical plant piping.
2. There is a power plant inside a process refinery.Where exactly the ANSI B31.1 & ANSI B31.3 scope break occurs?
Based on my experience there were two cases. case #1, B31.1 stopped at the power plant unit block valves, thus all piping inside the power plant was B31.1. case #2, B31.1 stopped at the equipment (boiler) isolation block valves and then all other piping was B31.3. This is normally the choice of the owner/operator/client.
3. Which of the following piping system is more health hazardous.
A) Fuel oil piping
B) Process piping with caustic
C) Process piping with HF acid
D) Sulphuric acid piping
Answer:C) Process piping with HF acid
4. There is a steam piping with low pocket, but without steam trap. What will be the worst consequence of this layout?
There will be a buildup of condensate to the point that a slug will be pushed by the steam flow. This slug of condensate will cause “water hammer” and could rip the piping apart.
5. In what circumstance, the reducer of a pump suction piping will be in bottom flat position. Explain why the reducer should be so.
When reducers are placed in pipe rack they are generally bottom side flat to maintain BOP to facilitate supporting.
6. A P&ID shows a spec break (at flange) between carbon steel & stainless steel specification. What additional arrangements you have to make for that dissimilar material flange joint?
Use the gasket and bolts from the SS spec.
7. A stainless steel piping specification mentions galvanized carbons steel bolts. What is your first reaction to this and how do you rectify it?
If that is what the spec call for then, that is what I am supposed to use. However, I would ask the Piping Material Engineer(PME) why he/she specified galvanized bolts.
Related Courses in Engineering Design
8. How many types of piping specialty items do you know? Why is it called a piping special? Why not we include them in standard piping specification.
I could possibly count 50 or more depending on the PME and how the piping material specs were developed. They are called them SP items because they are not written into the normal piping material (line class) specifications. They are not included because they are normally of limited use, purchased from a limited product line vendor and are often after thoughts.
9. Draw a typical steam trap station layout and explain why the existence of a by-pass line around the trap is not a good idea, when the condensate is returning to a condensate header?
(No drawing) It is not advisable to have a bypass around a steam trap because the block valve could be left open and defeat the purpose of the trap.
10. Explain what is a “Double block & bleed” valve?Why we need a bleed valve? When do we use this?
The primary purpose of a “Double block & bleed” is safety,but it is not failed safe. The next better “safety” set-up would be double block valve with a spec blind between the valves. The higher level of safety would be double block valves with a removable spool for absolute isolation.
11. In a typical tie-in where should the spectacle blind be inserted? a) after blocking valve and towards existing plant b) before blocking valve and towards new plant. Explain why.
The spec blind has be placed on the unit side of the unit block valves. This placement allows for the closing of the unit isolation block valve, the unit side is depressurized and drained, then the spec blind can be installed for isolation of the unit.
12. “Stress Intensification Factor (SIF)”Where do we use this? Explain this term. How many types of these SIF’s exist?
Stress Intensification Factor (SIF) is a multiplier on nominal stress for typically bend and intersection components so that the effect of geometry and welding can be considered in a beam analysis. Stress Intensification Factors has form the basis of most stress analysis of piping systems. As for the quantity, ask a stress engineer.
13. When all design parameters are the same, whose thermal expansion is higher among the following?
A) Carbon Steel
B) Stainless Steel
C) Duplex steel
D) Cast Iron
E) Galvanized carbon steel
Answer: B) Stainless steel
14) In a hose station the hose couplings used for water, air& steam should be different type. Do you agree? Explain your view.
I agree. If they are all the same, then the hoses can be connected to the wrong services and could result in the injury of an operator (e.g. thinking the hose is connected to water when it is connected to steam).
Industry Based Courses in Engineering Design
15. What is your view on the usage of metallic expansion joints? When they become necessary and when they could be avoided?
I do everything I can as a piping designer to avoid the use of all types of expansion joints. Expansion joints are always the weakest point in any system where they are used.
16. A water-cooler heat exchanger, located on a 20m high structural platform. Water header is located u/g. What precaution do you take, in case of pressure loss in cooling water header?
I do not understand this question it does not appear to be a piping issue. I would assume that the cooling water system has a (loss of) pressure sensor and the plant shut-down alarms and sequence would be activated.
17. In what orders do you arrange the pipes in the pipe rack and why? How much % of area should be reserved for future expansion? Specify a range.
The largest hottest lines on the outside edge of the pipe rack working in with cooler lines in towards the middle of the rack. This allows the longer loop legs as you lay the loops back over the other lines to the other side of the rack and back. The lower temperature loops would be “nested” inside the larger, hotter loops.
“Future rack space” is normally at the direction of the client. It may be anything from 0% to as much as 25%.
18. When a utility line (like condensate or water, etc.) is connected permanently to a process piping what precaution we have to take to avoid cross contamination?
Option #1, Double blocks valve with a drop-out spool.
Option #2, Double blocks valve with a spec blind
Option #3, Double blocks valve with a bleed valve.
19. A air fin cooler (two air coolers with ech having two inlet nozzles) needs a typical piping arrangement. How many types of piping arrangements is possible.
There are a number of ways to pipe a Fin-Fan cooler depending on what the P&ID call for
Top Courses in Engineering Design
Oilandgasclub.com is an international oil and gas (online & offline) conference technical training org from India. Oilandgasclub.com 3000+ professionals trained 150,000 hours of classes delivered 500+ expert trainers available and 3600+ respondents 30+ countries 80+ team. Blogs about technical tips at this blog. Contact or more about customized technical training from this page
70+ courses 7 venues 5 categories
OILANDGASCLUB.COM HAS PUBLISHED 150+ ARTICLES IN THIS BLOG Subscribe